Saturday 6 October 2012

"The plural for cockroach is cockroaches"


Been here for, like, a month!

This week started much better than the last. I think we expected too much too soon at Nama Simba, firstly as we only spend one day a week there, so when we’d been at the Samaritan Trust two weeks, we’d only been at Nama Simba two days, and also it was a new intake of kids. This week we actually found out names; Honey – Loofa, James – Chi/Ki, Flash – Ayesha, Bea – Cecelia, even Monster Child - Katherine. There are also others I learnt: Mada, Vi… and others that I’ve already forgotten. The actual education part of the nursery school has started now, learning the days of the week and alphabet letters. Now when we leave the house, there’s less AZUNGU, more hugs and smiles.
This week at TST has been really eventful too. We started by just helping with a maths lesson, but then spent the rest of the day teaching English! Typical Malawian style, we had no time for preparation and had to wing it. We taught plurals, as the teacher Edwin requested, and then when we ran out of ideas, included irregular plurals ending in O, CH and S. Edwin said he was really impressed and that he would definitely be getting us to do more classes in the future. Well, the very next morning we were teaching again, this time with Louise assessing a boy who wanted to go back to school, and me helping the other children with time arithmetic. In the afternoon, Louise felt really sick, so I had to do a class on my own! Nouns, proper nouns and verbs. It was much harder than I thought it would be, as Edwin had said I should give the whole lesson in English (not that I could do much else) and I found it very hard to describe a noun to someone who’s English wasn’t great. Still, we definitely felt like we were making an impact and I now know more names! (PS Louise is feeling much better.)
Yesterday morning, we hung out with Chimwemwe, Maia, Florence and David, as they tried to teach us some Chichewa. They said that we were Malawians now, so we need to speak Chichewa 24/7. The older girls tend to particularly closed off, so it was great just to talk to them and to be accepted by them. After mpunga for lunch (no nsima L), we had to go to Blantyre to renew our visas. It only took an hour – rocket speed for Malawi!
This week, we also got our roof and our door fixed, meaning we got our house absolutely covered in dust and wood from the beams AND now our rape gate doesn’t close. What’s the opposite of ‘every cloud has a silver lining’? ‘No good deed goes unpunished’? Or my personal favourite ‘Well, this is Malawi!’ 
In addition, since the roof has been fixed, the wind seems to have miraculously disappeared. Which we would be happy about, but the wind tends to keep the cockroaches away. So all week, the cockroaches have been EVERYWHERE. As well as in our bedroom for the first time. I have met my nemesis, and it is the cockroach. One night I couldn’t sleep because we found a massive one the wall above my bed… ahh, it’s a stress.
Other than that, things have been pretty good. We definitely feel more settled and like we are making the difference we came out here to make. TTFN

(PS Totally watching YouTube right now. :D)

Quotes
Me: So, where do you live?
Boy who likes to talk to me as we walk home: I live in Nancholi.
Me: Oh! I have friends in Nancholi.
Boy who likes to talk to me as we walk home: Yes, I know where they live.

Woman who works at Nama Simba: (pointing to my arms) Don’t you have a mosquito net?
Me: Oh, yes I do. Those are just freckles.



No comments:

Post a Comment