Saturday 29 September 2012

So what do I do all day?


End of Week 3!

Today we discovered a new internet café that I can bring my laptop to and, therefore, can upload the video I took of the house! Hurray! Check it out - http://youtu.be/1sG7Lk63jx8
Many things have been occurring in my life since I last posted. I also realised that I wasn’t very descriptive in my last post about what exactly I’ve been doing here.
On Mondays, Louise and I go next door to Nama Simba Nursery School and help out there. This consists of playing with the kids, washing the kids hands, setting out the chairs for porridge time, helping serve up the porridge, playing with the kids, washing their hands, setting out the chairs for nsima time, helping serve nsima, playing with the kids, then sending them home. Compared to our project at the Samaritan Trust, the kids are absolute terrors and this wears us down. In addition, the staff are friendly, but have very little English and the children have none. The only words we really use to communicate are basi, iyayi (a very forceful no), siya (don’t) and the occasional zili bwino (very good). So yeah, it’s hard going.
Malawians don’t really call each other by name, especially not the children, preferring just to say ‘Iwe’. Because I know there’s no way I can get the children at Nama Simba to tell me their names, I make names up in my head. My favourites so far are Honey, who loves to bring me coloured pencils, but doesn’t want anyone else to have them, James, who shouts AZUNGU repeatedly at me until I give him attention and Bea, a girl who turned out to be a bit mischievous, but can be very cuddly. There is also Harry (very smart kid), Connor (smiley boy with a lazy eye), Dina (an actual real name I managed to discover), Flash (because her top kept falling down) and Monster Girl (named by Louise, as she is the most horrible child we have ever met).
The Samaritan Trust children are absolute angels in comparison. I think it’s mostly because they’re older, their English is way better and they’re used to us white foreigners from previous volunteers. They can make my day with one hilarious anecdote. They are all extremely eager to learn English and make such an effort to communicate with us (the majority of them anyway).
Our days can be extremely different, from helping them with their reading or maths, or kicking a ball about in the sun, or playing cards in the shade. On our second day, we went to a local market to watch the children’s community drama – educating the public about HIV and AIDS. The children were so confident and engaging, a massive crowd gathered to watch. Another day, English volunteer Millie took us to the local hospital with two of the boys so that we’d know how the system works in an emergency. We took one legged Chisomo to paediatrics while Millie took Jack to general admissions. We have used the computer lab at TST to run an IT class. This was surprisingly challenging; as a member of the generation which has grown up around computers, I never really appreciated how difficult it is to learn simply things like typing, clicking the mouse etc. For example, I struggled to communicate in my limited Chichewa that you only need to press the space bar ONCE in between words. It was frustrating, but we really felt like we were making a difference, which was nice.

TST has just had a change of management and the children put on a sort of variety performance for the leaving director. While mostly in Chichewa, it was very moving and entertaining, from beautiful singing, comedy skits and a hilarious foot drill (using cardboard hats and football kits as uniforms).
SO YEH, at the moment, life is good. We came home from a short visit to Blantyre yesterday to find party going on in the nursery next door. We hope that this is a monthly event and that we might get an invite one day. It was cut short by the nightly power cut, however, so we weren’t kept up all night.
Got my first mail this week! It was so exciting! A lovely card from my granny and another from my parents the next day. Felt like such a celebrity. Mail seems to take about two weeks, so Michael, I’ll be expecting my birthday present any day now? XD
Have I missed out any crucial info? If anyone has a burning question, please do comment. I’m missing home, but I’m really starting to like it here, so I won’t be coming back anytime soon.
TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment