Sunday 4 November 2012

The rain is here!

End of Week 8, it has officially been two months!

We’ve be so busy this week, but I feel like I have absolutely nothing to say!
Nama Simba wasn’t very eventful this week. I did feed a child phala for the first time. Most of the children are old enough to feed themselves, but this was one of the younger ones and she kept missing her mouth. I also discovered that the children that I thought were called Loofa are most likely called Ruth. It gives you some indication of how people speak here; even when they speak English it is often a challenge to understand.
This week we spent a lot of time doing Maths lessons, helping to assess the abilities of 4 new children that have joined TST. I actually had to teach Louise how to do long multiplication – she’d been taught a ridiculously complicated method and therefore had no idea what the kids were doing. I also got to teach algebra! I love maths so much, it’s insane. We also taught ICT again. Precious, who didn’t know how to use a keyboard when we started, was typing his name by the end of the day. It’s amazing how fast these kids learn, it makes us so proud.
On the 31st of October we had rain. And I mean real rain, torrential thunder storms that leave you soaked in minutes. As there had been no sign of it when we left the house that morning, we walked home in the wettest conditions in months with no coats or umbrellas. Two men saw us going in our gate, soaked to the skin, and applauded our efforts. The mornings have started to feel very cold since the rain has arrived and while on a hot day a cold shower is very welcome, this morning I was rather glad I could use the fact that we had no water as an excuse not to wash.
This Friday we went to a friend’s Hallowe’en party as Mario and Luigi. We were very proud of the costumes we made on such a low budget. I even had to stitch Louise’s hat by candle light one night when the power went off. I am extremely dedicated to fancy dress.
Mairi will be happy to hear that the Quotes and Anecdotes section is back this week. I may leave it a bit longer before writing another blog post, so I have more to say next time.
I will try to find some pictures of our Mario and Luigi costumes on Facebook – TTFN

Quotes and Anecdotes
We thought we were going to be teaching a lesson on conjunctions, so we started writing out example sentences using and, but and because. All I could think of was really depressing ones about the kids, like: I want to go to school, but I can’t afford an exercise book, My parents have passed away and now I live on the streets, I have attachment issues because I was sexually abused when I was young. We decided these were not quite suitable.
This week I fell over spectacularly, and skinned my hands, while trying to show the kids the lotus position to prove that I was Buddhist.
Louise: I was going to mark Mary’s work, but her head’s in the way and I don’t want to wake her up.
A turkey (nkhuku tembo) wandered into our classroom this week. While the kids just ignored it, I attempted to chase it out whilst doing my amazing turkey impression. There were two Malawian volunteers just outside the door, who gave me extremely weird looks.
There was a window sticker in one of the minibuses that read: STOP GOSSIPING OTHER PEOPLE MIGHT BE RELATIVES INSIDE.
During our ICT lesson, it started raining. I ran to the window to see, only to hear Louise tell some of the children: ‘Come on, sit down. I’m sure you’ve seen rain before.’
We met 7 year old Chippy on our walk to work, so we took him back to TST with us. He was slow and kept stopping because he wanted me to carry him. People kept asking him if he was okay, because it really looked like we were doing a Madonna and kidnapping him.
We were passing a market and the stall owners kept trying to get our attention when one man shouted: ‘Madam! Orange!’ I took it really offensively, thinking it was a ginger dig, but he was just selling oranges.

1 comment:

  1. Madam Orange and the Buddhist Loofah - you paint wonderful pictures with words.

    I glad that your prayers for rain have been answered. Do you have one to stop the rain?

    ReplyDelete